Safe Harbor Lab Rescue's mission is to rescue and successfully rehome stray, abandoned or surrendered Labrador Retrievers located primarily in Colorado. We partner with professionals to provide medical care, training resources and breed education.
Some Facts and Figures about Safe Harbor Lab Rescue
- Safe Harbor was founded in May 2002 and been in continuous operation since its founding
- Through December 2013 about 2,400 Labs have been rescued.
- We are a non-profit charitable 501(c)(3) corporation; donations are tax deductible to the full extent of the law.
- A Board of Directors is responsible for the stewardship of the SHLR.
- We currently rescue and rehome approximately 250 Labs per year.
- We are an all volunteer organization with no salary expense. Our work is done by teams of volunteers dedicated to Lab Intake, Medical Care, Foster Care, Transportation, Adoption, Behavior Assessment, Website Management, Fundraising/Community Events and Hotline and Email response.
- We are members of All Breed Rescue Network (ABRN).
- Safe Harbor Lab Rescue holds a current Pet Animal Care Facilities License (PACFA) issued by the state of Colorado.
How Do We Care for the Labs In Our Program?
- All are vetted. They receive a health examination, basic shots, a heartworm test, are microchipped and are spayed or neutered. (Very young puppies are placed with a contract provision they must be altered by a given date and a deposit is required). Other health needs are addressed.
- All are placed in foster care. While in our care we strive to learn as much as possible about each individual to maximize a successful placement.
- There is no time limit on how long an adoptable Lab remains in our program.
- Our rescued Labs are placed in adoptive homes that have been thoroughly screened. Requirements for adoption include: An adoption application, reference checks, phone interview, meeting the Lab, a formal adoption agreement adoption and an adoption fee.
- We partner with members of the animal community for training, fostering and veterinary assistance to help us meet the Labs' needs.
Help The Labs!
Donations to help with the substantial costs of caring for over 250 Labs a year are always appreciated. As with people, good medical care is expensive; many of our Labs are sick or hurt upon arrival. You may donate via PayPal (link below) or send your donation to our mailbox address below.
Volunteer with Us!
Become a Foster! (foster a newly rescued Lab for a few weeks and be a true "life saver"
Safe Harbor Lab Rescue
601 16th Street #C-322
Golden, Colorado 80401
(We do not have a shelter/facility. All of our Labs are in foster care throughout the Metro area.)
Follow Safe Harbor Lab Rescue on Facebook and Twitter!